Recipe Revealed: Ole Red Gatlinburg’s Champagne of Chicken
Listen To This Article - Click Play
If you’ve been lucky enough to visit Blake Shelton’s Ole Red Gatlinburg, you know the menu is packed full of delicious dishes to satisfy any appetite. One dish that always stands out with guests is the Champagne of Chicken. If you can’t make it to Ole Red to try the famous dish or have tried it and are missing the taste, you’re in luck. We’ve got the recipe so you can make it at home! Here is the recipe for Ole Red Gatlinburg’s Champagne of Chicken:
Champagne of Chicken Recipe
Making Ole Red’s Champagne of Chicken at home isn’t hard! Parade Magazine recently published the recipe so you can bring a taste of Ole Red to wherever you are. This recipe serves 4 to 6 people. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- ¾ cup dill pickle brine
- 3 tbsp. Kosher salt, divided
- 3 12-oz. bottles Miller High Life, divided
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely ground cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Flake sea salt, for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, combine the pickle brine and 2 tbsp. of salt to a boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the salt dissolves.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 2 bottles of beer, the thyme sprig, and the bay leaf.
3. Transfer everything to a bowl that’s big enough to hold the brine and chicken. Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until it’s cold.
4. Add the chicken to the cold brine, then refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.
5. Add 3 inches of oil to a large Dutch oven or pot. Heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Combine flour, cornmeal, the remaining 1 tbsp. of kosher salt, paprika, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme and cayenne in a pie plate.
7. Pour the remaining bottle of beer into a shallow bowl. Then, set a wire rack over a sheet pan.
8. One piece at a time, remove the chicken from the brine, shaking off any excess. Dredge it in the flour mixture, dip in the beer, then dredge again in the flour mixture. Place it on the wire rack, then let it stand for 3 minutes.
9. Fry the chicken 8-10 minutes, or until it’s golden and registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit on a meat thermometer, turning to cook evenly.
10. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate
11. Sprinkle with flake sea salt.
What’s on the Menu at Ole Red Gatlinburg?
The Champagne of Chicken isn’t the only delicious food that Ole Red serves up! You can enjoy made-from-scratch dishes that include everything from signature burgers to classic Southern food. And don’t forget the Blake-approved signature cocktails! Here are some of the most popular items on the menu at Ole Red Gatlinburg:
- Southern Tater Tot Poutine
- Redneck Nachos
- Ober Gatlin-Burger
- Nashville Hot Chicken Biscuit
- Red Cornmeal-Fried Catfish
- Big-Ass Country Burrito
- Lucky Charms Banana Pudding
- Cherry Limeade
- Ole Red Buckshot
- Redneck Martini
About Ole Red Gatlinburg
Ole Red Gatlinburg has been wowing visitors since March of 2019. Ole Red includes a restaurant, bar, live music venue, and a gift shop! Rising country music stars take the stage daily, providing entertainment while you eat or grab a drink. The goal of Ole Red was to provide a place for visitors and locals to have fun at night, and it’s done just that! You don’t want to miss the chance to visit Ole Red while you’re in town. Everyone from up-and-comers to surprise celebrity guests take the stage at Ole Red, so you never know who you’ll see while you’re there!
More Gatlinburg Restaurants
Ole Red Gatlinburg is just one of the many great restaurants in the area! Take a look at some of the best Gatlinburg restaurants, then start planning your visit to the Smoky Mountains.