SEVIER COUNTY GOVERNMENT
For Immediate Release
SEVIER COUNTY MAKES PREPARATIONS AFTER WINTER STORM WARNING ISSUED
Sevier County, Tennessee [Sunday, January 14, 2024] – The National Weather Service in Morristown has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Sevier County, effective from 1:00 AM Monday, January 15th, until 7:00 AM Tuesday, January 16th. The storm is expected to bring significant snowfall, with accumulations of 6-8 inches forecast for most areas of Sevier County. Heavier snowfall is anticipated beginning mid-morning Monday.
In preparation for the winter storm, the Sevier County Emergency Agency will open at a Level 2 operational period beginning at 7:00 AM on Monday, January 15th. Sevier County Emergency Services will also be implementing the Winter Weather Plan.
For those who must travel, they are advised to take the following precautions:
- If travel is necessary, be sure to provide extra travel time, but it is strongly encouraged to delay any travel plans until roadways are safe.
- Use extreme caution, especially in higher elevations and on less-traveled roads.
- Drive slowly and allow extra time for your trip.
- Be aware of your surroundings and watch for black ice.
- If you encounter difficult driving conditions, pull over to the shoulder and off the main roadwayif possible. This allows emergency personnel to respond to calls and the Highway Department to treat roadways. As emergency personnel check on cars that are pulled off to the shoulder, they will mark them with a bright-colored piece of paper. This notifies passing drivers that the vehicle has been checked.
Residents who live in or visitors who are staying in areas prone to hazardous winter weather are encouraged to:
- Stock up on food, water, medication, and other essential supplies in case of power outages or prolonged snow-covered roads.
- Charge cell phones and electronics.
- Stay informed about the latest weather updates.
- Sign up to receive CodeRED emergency alerts https://public.coderedweb.com/CNE/en-US/BFF333CFFEA0
Cabin property owners and managers are urged to:
- Ensure their guests are aware of the upcoming winter storm and the potential for dangerous conditions.
- Have plans in place to assist those visitors who are unable to travel due to hazardous road conditions.In case of an emergency, dial 9-1-1. For updates, visit the Sevier County Emergency Management Agency Facebook page.
Sevier County Government
Contact: Tyler Basler
Director of Public Affairs & Communications Phone: (865) 774-3643