One of our favorite Smoky Mountain cities is getting some well deserved attention! ConventionSouth magazine recently named Gatlinburg, Tennessee one of the top 12 resort destinations for meetings and events. Offering a wealth of travel information for companies and other organizations, ConventionSouth is a leading voice in the meeting planning field.
With its picturesque location in the mountains, it’s easy to see why Gatlinburg is such a popular spot for all types of meetings. Visit My Smokies has highlighted just a few of the reasons our scenic city is one of the very best gathering places in the South.
Despite being a small city with only around 4,000 permanent residents, Gatlinburg can accommodate events of virtually any size. The secret to their success is the wonderful Gatlinburg Convention Center.
This 148,000 square foot building has hosted every type of convention and meeting imaginable, including craft shows, cheerleading competitions, religious gatherings, and so much more. The Great Hall, the convention center’s main room, has space for 6,000 people and 350 booths. For smaller events, the hall can be divided into three rooms. Other special features include:
- An unparalleled location within walking distance of everything to do downtown.
- Event planning assistance from the Gatlinburg Convention Center team.
- An in-house chef who can prepare food for up to 3,000 guests.
- Adjacent W.L. Mills Conference Center with an additional 50,000 square feet.
- A 17,000 square foot ballroom.
- A Convention Center Gallery area with a VIP suite, private parlors, and 18 meeting rooms.
The most recent article about the Smokies isn’t the first time ConventionSouth has taken note of Gatlinburg. In 2012, 2013, and 2014, the Gatlinburg Convention Center won the Reader’s Choice Award for the best meeting place in the South!
While the Gatlinburg Convention Center can host practically any type of gathering, visitors planning an athletic event will find the ideal accommodations at Rocky Top Sports World. Located just four miles from downtown Gatlinburg, Rocky Top is an 80 acre campus with everything you need to have an amazing sports tournament. The facilities include:
- 7 outdoor fields (6 synthetic turf fields, and 1 natural surface field).
- An outdoor championship stadium with bleacher seating.
- 6 indoor basketball courts (4 more available at Gatlinburg Community Center next door).
- 12 indoor volleyball courts (5 more available at Gatlinburg Community Center next door).
- Team rooms and referee locker rooms.
- Onsite restaurant.
- Transportation from downtown via the Gatlinburg Trolley system.
Since Rocky Top Sports World opened in 2014, the $20 million complex has brought hundreds of teams to Gatlinburg to play soccer, basketball, football, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, lacrosse, and other sports. In addition to tournaments, Rocky Top Sports World is also available for corporate and community events, award ceremonies, faith gatherings, parties, and any other type of meeting.
For more information, check out our blog 5 Reasons Rocky Top Sports World is Perfect For Your Next Sports Competition.
In addition to great venues for events, like the Gatlinburg Convention Center and Rocky Top Sports World, the Smokies also have a huge selection of places to stay for large groups. Whether you like bed & breakfasts, condos, chalets, cabins, or campgrounds, Gatlinburg has got you covered.
For groups that want to stay together under one roof, large cabin rentals are a unique lodging option in the Gatlinburg area. These massive cabins can sleep up to 74 people! Offering all of the comforts of home in a scenic Smoky Mountain environment, these oversized rentals are perfect for visitors who want to get some serious relaxation done between meetings.
Check out our Where to Stay in Gatlinburg page to browse our searchable list of all the best choices for lodging in the Smoky Mountains!